Spiritual Humanism Ordination FAQs Practices Site Map Be Ordained Store

Pan Ecumenical Conference

Moderator: Site Moderators

<<

Rev Chris Milianis

Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:16 am

Pan Ecumenical Conference

How does everyone feel about Organizing a Mid West Spiritual Humanist Conference in Michigan. Naturally, the Entire family of SpiritualHumanism.org are invited!
We Could have this conference on a weekend (Fri PM- Sun Noonish)
On Friday we could have an informal dinner, and perhaps be addressed by The "Z" himself.
On Saturday, we could hold a breakfast and have formal introductions. Then, we could hold in services on topics such as
Wicca
Metaphysics
Hypnosis
Fortune Telling
Explore aneven "conduct" various services
......and whatever!!
We could break for Dinner in the evening, and
on Sunday we could all celebrate a Humanist Service for the strength of "the body" as a whole, and adjourn!
Rough idea, what are my peers thoughts???
The potential is huge!!!!!
Advise,
Rev. Chris Milianis
<<

EileenR

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:38 am

I'm in

I'd love a congress, better give us time to save up!

Of course I would love it better in New York but I guess we could say that.

Eileen
<<

marcross

Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:55 pm

Your idea of a conference is great. Maybe those of us who didn't attend could send input, such as ceremony development etc., or maybe we could develop a "cyber conference"
<<

Merlin

Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:11 pm

Sounds good, but did you get z's go ahead for the list of topics. I am not sure if he would want wicca and fortune telling at an SH conference. (assuming the conference would be supporting the beliefs rather than debunking or just explaining them). Wicca involves believe in supernatural and deities both of which aren't endorsed by SH, but if your conference would be about talking about their ritual observances of seasonal and life cycles I think that would be acceptable.

If you mean fortune telling like palmreading tealeaves it might also not be acceptable.I would think Fortune telling by looking at your past behavior and experiences and making reasonable guesses to your future is included in the based on science and reason definition though.

It's best to explain this to Z and see what he thinks and feels is acceptable first. If he is not happy with the content than you might not be allowed to use the name church of spiritual humanism on your conference.
<<

Rev Chris Milianis

Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:26 pm

Again, this is a fact finding post NOT an advocation of one way over another.
My suggestions were just that, suggestions and in no manner are they to be set as the itenerary! If we can all agree that the "IDEA" is good, then really "Z" would have to approve the agenda!
Let's all talk for now!
<<

revhypatia1128

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:12 am

I like the idea of a conference. Michigan would a little closer than New York. I think that we could mostly, objectively look at various religious beliefs as well as their aspects. I think it should mostly be a celebration of humanism and the light it gives to all humans.

I think we could even dedicate things to Athena and Prometheus; not because we believe in their existance but for what they are symbols of. We humans are big on symbols. This could be interesting. We could also have various activities for getting away or our parting activity could be a trip to a museum or the zoo.
<<

Rev Chris Milianis

Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:42 pm

That's exactly what I am attempting to see!
Do we want to have an "enlightening" conference?
<<

EileenR

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:57 am

revhypatia1128 wrote:I like the idea of a conference. Michigan would a little closer than New York. I think that we could mostly, objectively look at various religious beliefs as well as their aspects. I think it should mostly be a celebration of humanism and the light it gives to all humans.

I think we could even dedicate things to Athena and Prometheus; not because we believe in their existance but for what they are symbols of. We humans are big on symbols. This could be interesting. We could also have various activities for getting away or our parting activity could be a trip to a museum or the zoo.

When I was in the WAC in the '70's we wore Athena on our uniform lapels. I can't remember if they exactly said she was the role model for women warriors but it was something like that. Recently I found the old brass pin; how appropriate Athena and Prometheus are for us who are fighting our way along unchartered territory and constantly rising up to start over.

8) Eileen

Return to Rites and Ceremonies