Spiritual Humanism Ordination FAQs Practices Site Map Be Ordained Store

Dodged ANOTHER Bullet!

<<

PastorDave

Post Sun May 14, 2017 11:38 am

Dodged ANOTHER Bullet!

A few years back some yahoo tried to open a sex club claiming to be an official branch of the Church of Spiritual Humanism. His less than honest explanations, motivations, and evasions were all too transparent and (as I recall) he was summarily drummed out of CoSH. Only time I can ever remember that happening.

I guess it is just too easy a dodge to try. Some other gomer opened up a sex club in TN and claimed it was really a church. Thankfully, there was no mention of CoSH (or any other prominent online ministry) to be found in the article. I guess Fredom4All was entirely doing it's own thing. In a quick scan of the court filing it appears that founder is named Larry Roberts. Although that could just be the "church's" lawyer. And that wasn't the guy who tried to involve us in his perfidies. Still, when I saw the headline I got one of those "Oh no, not again" feelings (ref. the last thought of a doomed whale in Hitchiker's).

It is rather colorful reading. I was surprised to find that apparently some sex clubs are legal in TN. Just not this one. I guess they can't be very close to a church. Of course maybe it was to close to itself so it was its own worst enemy. :twisted:

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/complaint-filed-to-close-sex-clup-posing-as-church

PastorDave
<<

RuneKeeper

Post Sun May 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Dodged ANOTHER Bullet!

What kind of knuckle-head would think he could get away with using the Church as a dodge to open a sex club? This sort of person OBVIOUSLY has NO clue what it means.
<<

PastorDave

Post Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 am

I suspect it is like the trend a few years back when pot smokers tried to create "Rastafarian" churches, claim that the "herb" was their "sacrament", and then assert separation of church and state to avoid prosecution for consuming their drug of choice. I don't know if it actually worked, but the concept was certainly part of the popular culture. Plus, being a church makes zoning and taxes easier. Fees become donations and tithing. Group gropes are just part of the church's practices. Just one more way of blurring the lines between consenting adults, religious practices, and sex for money. Who knows, maybe there is an underground culture of folks doing the same thing out there, and this loser just happened to get caught. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

PastorDave
<<

PastorDave

Post Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 am

Ah, one example of when the Rasta defense worked. At least on the personal use front. Didn't help with the smuggling wads of pot into the country!

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/03/us/religion-ruled-valid-defense-in-drug-case.html

Return to News Items