Spiritual Humanism Ordination FAQs Practices Site Map Be Ordained Store

The requested topic does not exist.

<<

revtexaspete

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 pm

The requested topic does not exist.

Edit: just saw post by Zorger. about this issue. so...if those old threads are dead, can admins delete them?

it seems to confuse new people.

I had some major issues getting logged in. anyway, I finally got registered, activated, etc.

I read forum rules. cool. I read first post in a group. also cool. second post. sent reply. seems I am active member :)

however, on many threads I get the following...The requested topic does not exist.

so I thought it behooved me to goto the thread called NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! again is says "the requested topic does not exist." that seems really odd.

and knowing what I know about activations/registrations, it would not be about my account. I was able to read posts on a specific board, i would have access to that board. it seems to me it would say "you don't have access" rather than saying something does not exist.

is there a specific person/persons in charge of maintaining the forums? are they aware of the issue?

a post was made about this Jan 19, 2014 9:28 pm.

pastor dave replied in january he thought it would be fixed. was it fixed? did it break again?

sorry about my second post here..I could not see edit button for some reason on my post. then I did!
Last edited by revtexaspete on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

revtexaspete

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Re: The requested topic does not exist.

sorry. I did not read the later post by zorger.

however, there are a ton of dead posts. even the very few list of new ones.

I am kind of suprised how few people are here/active

pastor dave can you provide some context/history of the forums? I would simply search forums..but all the posts are deadz ;)
<<

PastorDave

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Ah, a command performance.

I am just another ordained person here. I am not involved with the administration of the site in any way.

When CoSH was young the forum was an extremely busy place. Unfortunately it tended to get bogged down in acrimonious political discussions. Having run forums in other places/times I have not doubt that it took a lot of time/effort to keep a lid on the unruly mess. Personally I think it detracted from the meaning/value of CoSH. (Sorry, a little slash happy 2nite). I think CoSH as a whole got really big for a while. Then a bunch of other sites started offering free online ordinations. I suspect that sales and interest dwindled. Anyway, a few years ago Zorger discontinued the forum. As I recall he stated that he needed to take a (doubtless well deserved) break.

A few plucky volunteers (I eventually became a manager/owner there) set up an alternate forum (spiritualhumanismforum.com). It never achieved the popularity of the old forum. It was relatively hard to find, and the coming of MySpace, Facebook, and blog sites made discussion forums less popular generally. Still, we kept the flame alive.

Eventually Zorger fired this forum back up. The alternate forum wasn't getting much traffic. In part because we did not allow political discussions. We knew that we were sacrificing post volume for civility. In part because of the decline of forums, and in part because the official forum was back. So we closed that forum down a couple of years ago and directed people back here.

There was a little traffic here for a while. A few of the people from the alternate forum were active. But most of us have drifted away. The interest in wedding officiating is being more thoroughly met in other ways. Atheists/Humanists/Agnostics are finding other ways to communicate and socialize.

So that takes us to today's problem. The software that runs this site is probably "phpbb". They are the big dog of free discussion board software. While it is pretty easy to manage, it does take some work. I have run a few phpbb boards, and the biggest problem I had was losing knowledge. I would learn how to put in a feature or fix a problem, and I wouldn't have to deal with administration issues for 6 months or a year, and I would forget how to do stuff. So I would have to go back and re-learn it. What a pain. If I used it every day, no problem. But that wasn't the case. I am betting that Zorger is in the same spot.

So a while back phpbb probably put out a big update/fix. It is constantly being improved and upgraded. I am guessing that something in an upgrade broke the links to the old discussions. They are still there, but the software just can't find them anymore. It is probably a known issue, and there is probably a known fix out there for it. I am also guessing that it would take 2 - 3 hours to relearn administration stuff before starting the fix, and the fix would take another 2 - 3 hours. And that would break other small things that would take 2 - 3 hours to fix. What with needing to live life, that is probably a multi-day project. For a discussion board that doesn't get much traffic, that all of your old online friends left years ago, for a website that probably isn't generating much revenue.

It might get fixed someday, but I am not holding my breath. I am always willing to be pleasantly surprised. Probably the best way to get Zorgers attention is to start posting. Start interesting discussions about topics relevant to humanists. No, I am not talking about the supernatural claptrap that too many people think represent spiritualism or humanism. The busier this site becomes with great conversations, the more likely it is that it will get fixed. But I am not sure it is worth the effort today.

More time than I should probably have spent on this post, but I was feeling chatty.

PastorDave
<<

Laurena.Renaldi

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:50 am

I cannot read anything either. All the posts that refer to this issue are almost 3 years old. I'd like to get this all figured out so I can begin performing ceremonies, and I'm very particular on knowing all the details before I do anything that could possibly not be legally binding. Any insight on this? I appreciate any help!
<<

PastorDave

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 am

As previously mentioned on this thread I am not an administrator here, just another Ordained Clergy Person like the rest of you. In my largely unqualified and not legally trained opinion I would recommend against looking for legal guidance on discussion boards. Personally, I began with the FAQ on this site -
Is this ordination legal in all 50 states?

Laws vary greatly by state. Some states require registration of clergy people. A few states and cities have very difficult regulations. The ones with problems that we are aware of are:
Utah - State law does not recognize mail order or online ordinations. This law may be changed some.
North Carolina - Apparently there is case law that invalidates ordination by the Universal Life Church because they were performed by mail. See the web page http://revkara.com/originalworks/are_yo ... rried.html
Las Vegas - Very strict laws, not easy to be registered.
New York City - Must be registered but it is an easy process. In NYC ordained clergy must register with City Health Department or Office of the City Clerk in one of the five boroughs. Our clergy have successfully registered in NYC, but to do so you will have to order a clergy pack for the extra documentation. When ordering be sure to include a note that you need the NYC Letter of Good Standing and a copy of the Articles of Incorporation.
Vermont - People have reported problems but there appears to be no legal basis for the state's discrimination against online ordinations.
Missouri and Michigan - We have legally recognized local congregation in these states now as required by state law.

Then I went to the laws and regulations for my state. Washington State recognizes online ordination.

Next, I went and talked to a county clerk's office about whether they would process wedding licenses I had signed and submitted for couples. They said yes and gave me some useful tips.

Also, while this forum isn't particularly active there is more activity on the Church of Spiritual Humanism Facebook page (I am an admin there) -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/churchofspiritualhumanism/?ref=bookmarks

There are also quite a few general Facebook forums (fora?) for wedding officiants. Discussions and guidance about online ordinations is quite common. The American Association of Wedding Officiants Facebook page just had a big discussion about Long Island weddings.

Finally, other online ordination services also have a discussion of states where their ordinations are and are not accepted. Here is the page from the Universal Life Church. As I am a Humanist rather than a Universalist I tend to hang around here even though the site is less active.
http://www.ulc.org/training-education/state-wedding-laws/

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

PastorDave
<<

Bear Paws

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:51 am

Thank you Pastor Dave! you last post helps tremendously! :D

Return to General